CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. –Family members say the 17-year-old stabbed earlier this week at Manchester High School has been released from the hospital and is resting at home.
Police said the boy was stabbed several times by a 17-year-old classmate on Monday morning.
The attack forced the high school to go on lockdown for hours.
The teen suspect has been charged with aggravated malicious wounding.
Some parents who rushed to Manchester High School after they received news about a bloody knife attack inside the school said their children sent them gruesome details, via text, about what they witnessed.
“There’s blood everywhere,” one mother said about what she was told. “All the kids were saying there was blood.”
Students said the suspect was on a mission to find the victim, upset over a girl, and that he “went door to door trying to find this kid.”
Principal’s Message for Students
Following the incident, the school’s principal said Tuesday that he was left with a “hurt heart” and “many questions for which we have no answers.”
“The first of which is why would someone attack a student who I believe is one of the nicest, kindest, most mannerly individuals I know. And what would possess an individual who was very strong academically and never a discipline problem at school to commit such an extreme action. The incident has left many of us confused, and understandably so,” Manchester principal Mr. Peter Koste told students Tuesday.
The principal explained to students why they were kept locked down in class several hours despite the fact the knife attack was brought under control in just a few minutes.
“My heart also goes out to all of you because you had to remain in your classes for an extended period of time without really knowing why,” he said. “While it might help allay your fears if we would give regular updates to you with specifics, that is not the proper protocol. The information we release, with good reason, must contain very little detail, especially when an investigation is in progress. Also, the police department had to process the scene, and unlike television everything cannot be completed in one hour, including commercials. Until the scene was processed we had to keep the school on lockdown. This was not easy on any of you but you handled it all very well.”
Chesterfield police arrested a 17-year-old Manchester student in connection to Monday’s assault. He was charged with aggravated malicious wounding and was taken to the Chesterfield County Juvenile Detention Home.
Depend on CBS 6 News and WTVR.com for updates on this story.
- Chesterfield teen charged, held at juvenile home after knife assault
- Student rushed to hospital after bloody attack in Manchester band room
- Why would someone attack ‘nicest, kindest’ student asks Manchester High principal
- Students text ‘gruesome’ details to anxious parents outside Manchester High School