RICHMOND, Va. — Firefighters said an unattended cigarette at a renter’s basement bedside sparked an early morning fire that condemned a North Richmond duplex apartment.
No one was injured in an early-morning apartment fire along the 3200 block of Hanes Avenue in Richmond. The fire was marked under control at about 6:50 a.m.
It is unclear at this time how many people were displaced due to the fire. The Red Cross has not yet been called to assist, according to the Richmond Fire Department.
The apartment building is located near the intersection of Hanes and West Gladstone Ave. on the city’s Northside.
The building has been condemned until Dominion Virginia Power can restore electricity for the other renters.