HANOVER COUNTY, Va. - The judge assigned to preside over the trial for the man arrested for hitting and killing Hanover mother Meg Menzies has recused himself from the case. J. Overton Harris said he had independent knowledge of the case and a long relationship with the Menzies family, though not Meg.
Harris said he has been unable to escape hearing about the case during his travels around the county, whether it be at restaurants or at church.
Dr. Michael Carlson, 47, was charged with involuntary manslaughter in Menzies's death. Menzies, 34, was running with her husband on East Patrick Henry Road the morning of January 13 when she was hit.
Scott Menzies testified he saw a vehicle, driven by Dr. Carlson, lose control and hit Meg as she tried running into a ditch to get out of the car’s way.
Scott Menzies described how he pleaded with Dr. Carlson to help, but noticed Carlson’s “slurred speech.”
Scott, an Ashland Police Officer, said he then asked Carlson if he had been drinking. Scott said Carlson responded “no,” but Scott had a feeling Carlson “was being dishonest.”
A status hearing was set for August 11. During the hearing it will be decided whether the Hon. Patricia Kelly can preside over the case.
Watch CBS 6 News at 5 for a live update on this developing story.