The event, officially billed as outdoor health and fitness fair is a collaboration between Sports Backers, the Mayor’s Healthy Richmond Campaign and the Richmond City Health District.
The event is a natural extension of River City resident’s appreciation for outdoor recreation; it’s a chance to enjoy the streets we drive down hurriedly from point A to point B — it’s about experiencing these asphalt arteries that we usually rush through.
And it’s about promoting a healthy lifestyle in a city that a couple of years ago placed third in the nation for most fast food restaurants, per capita.
This particular city project is inspired by others around the world, especially the Ciclovia event that began in Bogota, Colombia and occurs every week there. In Bogota they open up an amazing 70 miles of streets to over 1.5 million people.
More than 15,000 people attended last years RVA Streets Alive, that was held over a 2.5 mile looping course that shut down two bridges along with multiple streets. The course went over the Manchester Bridge, Commerce Road, Hull Street and the Mayo Bridge.
This year’s festival will be held in and around the Historic Jackson Ward area.
Since the event promotes community and healthy lifestyles, attendees can expect around 60 vendors and events that include running, walking, biking, skateboarding, dancing, Zumba, and many other physical activities.
There will be streets closures for the event. The eastbound and westbound lanes of East Broad Streets from 2nd Street to Belvidere Street and the northbound and southbound lanes of Brook Road from Broad Street to Leigh Street will be closed from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
- ACAC Fitness and Wellness Center
- AFX Fit & Boot Camp Challenge RVA
- American Heart Association
- American Karate Center
- Ariya Family Chiropractic Center, PC
- Bike Walk RVA
- Black Girls RUN!
- Boho Cycle Studio
- Chesterfield/Richmond Pickleball
- City of Richmond Fire and Emergency Services
- City’s Department of Parks and Recreation
- Clinical Research Partners
- CO2 Fit
- CrossFit RVA
- Dance Trance Richmond
- Davita Dialysis
- DentaQuest/Smiles for Children
- Dept. of Veteran Affairs, Rural Health Initiatives
- DNA Fitness Studio
- Downtown YMCA
- Flying Squirrels
- Girls on the Run
- Goal High Performance Sport Specific Training
- Groundwork RVA
- Health Warrior
- Jazzercise of Richmond
- JenCare Neighborhood Medical Center
- King of Pops
- Mainstreet Chamber of Commerce
- Mary Kay by Damacia J
- Master Cho’s Tae Kwon Do
- Mayhem Fitness & Cross Training
- Peak Physique
- RABA/Richmond Cycle Smart
- Richmond Barre
- Richmond Behavioral Health Authority
- Richmond City Health District – 95210 Campaign
- Richmond City Medical Reserve Corps
- Richmond Kickers
- Richmond Physical Therapy
- Richmond Road Runners Club
- Richmond Ultimate
- Richmond Volleyball Club
- River City Chiropractic
- River City Rollergirls
- Road Runner Running Store
- Sports Backers Merchandise
- Small Smiles Dental Clinic
- Sports Backers/Active RVA
- Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt
- The Rehabilitation Center at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital
- The Richmond Ski Club
- United Way of Greater Richmond and Petersburg
- USTA/RTA 10 and Under Tennis
- U-TURN Sports Performance Academy
- VA Premiere
- VCU Department of Psychiatry/Children’s Mental Health Resource Center
- Virginia Capital Trail Foundation
- Virginia Repertory Theatre