IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR DISH SUBSCRIBERS – SERVICE INTERRUPTION – CLICK HERE

Fire crews battle Carbon Monoxide scare in restaurant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HENRICO, Va. – Henrico Fire units responded to the China House restaurant located at  4703 Nine Mile Rd for a report of the smell of gas and a generator running inside of a closed business, at 8:12a.m., Saturday morning.

When crews arrived on scene the found the restaurant locked with a running generator inside of it.

According to Henrico fire crews, carbon monoxide readings were in the 700-800 ppm (parts per million) range. A normal carbon monoxide reading level ranges from 0-5 ppm.

Five surrounding businesses were also affected, with readings in the 300-400 ppm range for carbon monoxide.

Units were on scene for several hours ventilating the affected businesses, to reduce the levels to a safe range.

The restaurant was using the generator to power coolers to keep food cold after power was lost when a motor vehicle accident damaged a power pole and lines in the area.

The health department is investigating to ensure food safety.

No injuries were reported.

photo 1 photo 2

2 comments

    • Do Not Eat There

      Carbon monoxide is odorless, but exhaust from a gasoline- or diesel-powered generator is not.

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,755 other followers