(CNN) — After a daylong manhunt, authorities have taken into custody an enlisted man they say stabbed a fellow service member on a Virginia naval base, a U.S. Navy captain said Friday.
Capt. Michael “Jake” Johannson, the commanding officer for Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads, announced that the suspect — Petty Officer 3rd Class Wilbur Harwell — was taken in without incident in Virginia Beach, about 20 miles from where the stabbing occurred at the base’s Portsmouth annex.
The incident spurred the base and a major Navy hospital there, the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, to go on lockdown as security forces searched for Harwell. The hospital even announced, on Facebook, plans to evacuate all patients, though it wasn’t immediately clear if that ever happened.
It’s all because of an altercation involving the 26-year-old Harwell and another Navy sailor that took place Friday morning in front of the private military store, or exchange, at the base, according to Navy spokesman Jim Moir said.
No details were provided of the condition of the stabbed service member.
Despite reports on social media of a shooting at the base, Moir said there was no indication gunshots had been fired or a shooter was on the base. Nonetheless, the base was essentially locked down and all appointments at the hospital were canceled.
About 4,300 military and civilian personnel work at the medical center, which is across the Elizabeth River from Norfolk.
It is the oldest continuously operated hospital in the Navy, according to its website. It serves about 420,000 military members, families and retirees in the Hampton