October Festival Guide

Man heating shoe polish wax sparks house fire

fire generic

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (WTVR) – A man heating shoe polish wax with a lighter sparked a fire that not only burned himself but his home too, according to Colonial Heights Fire and EMS Deputy Fire Marshal Lt. J. E. Boisseau.

“The burn victim was an elderly male who was standing outside the house,” Boisseau said. “Crews quickly controlled the fire and treated the victim.  The victim was transported to [VCU Medical Center] and last known to be in stable condition.”

Fire crews were called to the Fairfax Ave. about 4:37 Thursday.

“Some neighbors reported that they saw the elderly occupant on the front porch and then saw the smoke coming from the residence,” Boisseau said. “Neighbors attempted to extinguish the fire with an extinguisher prior to the fire departments arrival.  None of the neighbors were injured.”

The fire caused an estimated $6,000 in damage.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,695 other followers