Man wakes up to fire in living room, tries putting it out himself

Chesterfield House fire

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – Improperly discarded smoking materials caused a house fire Thursday morning along the 4600 Boones Trail Circle in Chesterfield.  One person was treated for minor injuries.

“The occupant stated he was sleeping in the family room and woke to see the smoke and fire. He attempted to extinguish the fire for an extended period of time prior to evacuating the home,” Chesterfield County Fire and EMS spokesman Lt. Jason Elmore said. “[He] did suffer serious but non-life threatening injuries and was transported to VCU Medical Center.”

Fire crews were called to the Cabin Creek neighborhood home about 10:08 a.m. The neighborhood sits between Newbys Bridge Rd. and Hull Street Rd.

“It took crews approximately one hour and fifteen minutes to get the fire under control,” Lt. Elmore said. “If a fire occurs in your home to immediately ‘Get Out and Stay Out’ of the home. Once outside call 911 immediately!”

Family members of the fire victims are helping provide a place for them to stay.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,778 other followers