ENTER NOW: Win $600 on CBS 6 This Morning starting Monday

Richmond jumps up spot on bed bugs cities list

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – Richmond ranks as the number 11 worst city in the nation for bed bugs, according to a recent survey from Orkin.

The list ranks cities by the number of bed bug treatments Orkin performed from January to December 2013, along with any shift in ranking compared to 2012.

Richmond-Petersburg came in at number 11, which is up one spot from last year.

Chicago ranked number one for the cities with the most bed bugs. Los Angeles came in second, followed by Columbus, Detroit and Cincinnati.

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, bed bugs can carry more than 30 different human pathogens, but there is no evidence that bed bugs can transmit diseases. Their bites can cause itchy welts and victims may develop red marks or swelling.

CBS 6 anchor Lorenzo Hall reported that hundreds of Richmond apartments were infested with bed bugs in August 2013.

Angela Conley said she was forced to sleep on an air mattress after tossing out her old bed and furniture because of bed bugs.

Those bed bugs forced Conley into a newer apartment within Gilpin Court after her last unit became severely infested with the little bugs.



  • Dahai Dong

    It is extremely easy to get rid of bed bugs. Since bed bugs can’t reach CO2 generator in a bed bug trap or sleeping in bathtub stops bites, you can enlarge the trap from dish size to bed size and replace CO2 generator by sleeper or make bed function better than bathtub. Sleepers are at center of bed sized traps and exhale CO2 to attract bed bugs towards the trap. More than 99% feeding chance is at night which is eliminated. You can eliminate the remaining 1% feeding chance at day time as easy as exterminators don’t carry bed bugs home. Bed bugs crawl every night for food until starving or trapping, killing 100% bed bugs as easy as killing ants because both bed sized trap and poison bait kill insects when they seek food. Since you have stopped bites after one-time easy effort, you disregard when bed bugs starve or where they hide.
    Encasement protects mattress while bed-sized trap protects sleeper. Mattress does not need any protection; only sleeper needs protection. Mattress encasement is as nonsense as a camper sleeps outside tent but uses the tent to seal a bush from mosquitoes. Google “bed sized bed bug trap” and celebrate having solved problem on the first day of setting up bed sized trap even though bed bugs migrate from other apartments.

Comments are closed.