Blood donations down after winter storm cancels drives
2014 snow storm
From a news release from the Red Cross:
NORFOLK, Va. — The Red Cross is asking folks in Central Virginia to donate blood following the massive winter storm that canceled over 250 Red Cross blood drives across the south.
The Red Cross is asking people unaffected by the storm to consider making an appointment to donate blood or platelets.
Blood donors are needed now and will be needed in the coming weeks to help ensure blood is available for patients who need it.
You can make an appointment to give blood online at redcrossblood.org or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS.
Richmond Blood Drives
- 02/18/14 American Red Cross Greater Richmond Chapter 420 East Cary Street Richmond 11:30 am – 3:30 pm
- 02/19/14 Home Depot 1386 Car Mia Way Richmond 8:00 am – 11:45 am
- 02/24/14 Johnston Willis Hospital 1401 Johnston Willis Drive Richmond 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
- 02/25/14 American Red Cross Greater Richmond Chapter 420 East Cary Street Richmond 11:30 am – 3:30 pm
- 02/25/14 Chippenham Hospital 1447 Johnston Willis Drive Richmond 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
- 02/28/14 VCU RCC 938 West Grace Street Richmond 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
- 02/28/14 Henrico Doctors’ Hospital Forest Campus 1602 Skipwith Road Henrico 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
How to donate blood
Simply call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients, especially type O negative – the universal blood type.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.