Overheated oil culprit in two Henrico turkey fryer fires
HENRICO, Va. –Two turkey fryer fires within 15 minutes of each other this Thanksgiving day afternoon.
The first came in at 4:21 PM in the 3900 block of Pleasant Chase Place in Henrico County’s East end.
Heavy fire erupted from the turkey fryer, which was on the deck of the house. The turkey fryer had been left on after the turkey was removed and the oil overheated, Captain Daniel Rosenbaum said.
The fire was extinguished by placing the lid back on the fryer and cooling the unit down with an extinguisher. Rosenbaum said there was minor damage done to the deck and no damage done to the house.
The turkey fryer had significant damage.
The second fire came in at 4:32 in the 1700 block of Kinsale Ct in Henrico County’s North side. First arriving units to this call also reported flames from a turkey fryer that was placed just outside the garage of the house.
This fire did not cause any damage to the structure, but caused moderate smoke damage to the house. This fire was also cause by the turkey fryer left unattended.
Officials warned that unattended cooking oil can go from cooking temperature to a temperature that will support combustion in a matter of minutes.
Always keep a close eye on the temperature of the oil used for cooking and never leave unattended. If the oil begins to smoke immediately cut off the heating element.
At the point where oil begins to smoke, fire is not far away.