Injured Henrico firefighter warns of fireplace dangers

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) — Henrico Firefighter Ian Enterline is humble, like most firefighters following an act of heroism.

“The story isn’t about me – it is about what firefighters do everyday,” Enterline said.

Nevertheless Enterline does have a story. After getting shocked by exposed wires in a Henrico home fire Wednesday, Enterline continued to fight the blaze.

“I knew what happened and I just kept working for a little bit,” Enterline said with a smile.

Only after the blaze was considered under control did Enterline allow his fellow firefighters from Station 12 to take him to the hospital.

“These guys were great –  they took care of me. I work with them everyday,” Enterline said.

Following a tour of the Station 12 Fire House, Enterline told CBS 6 reporter Joe St. George that he would much rather talk about preventing fires than about himself. Which is why he’s talking about fireplace safety.

According to early inspections, the fire that caused Enterline to be injured started in the area near the fireplace.

Chimney Saver Solution owner Kirby Ragland tells CBS 6 that while fires more often occur in the chimneys as a result of soot, they can also take place in and around the actual fireplace where the fire is supposed to burn.

Ragland says homeowners who use their fireplace should allow for frequent inspections to prevent wanted fires from becoming dangerous ones.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,554 other followers