Campground death trial begins, murder charges dropped against 3 suspects
One of the charges has been dropped against three men accused of a deadly beating at a local campground.
The suspects Phillip ”Bubba” Harris, 57, Christopher “Rooster” Fogg, 40, and Jorge Torres, 29 were being tried for felony murder, lynching and abduction charges.
The first-degree murder charge has been tossed out.
The victim, Edwin Barry Hughes, was a guest at a dance back in May at the Bush Park campground. Hughes, 49, was pronounced dead at Walter Reed Hospital in Gloucester on May 12.
Investigators said that Harris and Fogg were security guards at the campground and Torres was working at the gate. That night, Hughes got into a fight with Fogg after he was asked to turn on the lights to his golf cart, according to investigators.
Next an altercation broke out between Hughes and all three men. A bystander called called 911 and when police arrived they found Hughes face down, with a pulse.
Emergency personnel were brought on scene and transported Hughes to Walter Reed. He died en route to the hospital, said police.
The state Medical Examiner informed the Middlesex Commonwealth’s Attorney that the death has been determined a homicide.
Friends previously told CBS 6 News that Hughes lived in the Bush Park Mobile Home Park next to the camp site for about three years. They say he also worked as an electrician for Henrico County.
The trial is expected to continue Wedneday.