Va. dog gets valor award for saving owner
MINERAL, Va. (WTVR) — A three-year-old English bulldog from Mineral who saved her owner’s life has been rewarded for the good deed.
Chilly was named this year’s winner of the Humane Society’s “Pets of Valor Award” Tuesday after the online votes were tabulated.
Heidi Parker, Chilly’s owner, said the normally mellow dog started pawing and licking her when she was napping after getting an allergy shot.
Once she came around, Parker said she noticed her throat was quickly swelling shut. It turns out she was having an allergic reaction to the allergy injection.
Parker managed to call 911 and was treated at a local hospital. Once she was released, she posted this update on her Facebook page.
“I want to thank the FSPCA [the Fluvanna SPCA ] for allowing me to rescue Chilly… I’m not sure who rescued who here but Chilly is definitely my Guardian angel!”
As part of the award, the Fluvanna SPCA will receive a year’s supply of dog food from BOGO Bowl. The agency also takes home a $5,000 grant from the HSUS.