RICHMOND, Va (WTVR) – Local Culinary Instructor and Caterer Marie Gilliam shares her signature recipe for ‘Big Banana Man’ Crepes, her spin off of the Banana Foster. She put together this delicious dessert with a splash of Rum.
Big Banana Man Crepes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 /2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Butter, for coating the pan
- 5- 8 banana slices
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 1 /2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whip cream
- 1 tablespoon powder sugar
- 2 tablespoons Myers Rum
In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10- 15 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to one week in the refrigerator.
* If batter looks like pancake batter; add 1- 4 tablespoons of water stir until batter is thin.
Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. After they have cooled you can stack them and store in sealable plastic bags in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for up to two months. When using frozen crepes, thaw on a rack before gently peeling apart.
* Banana filling: Using medium size skillet heat on medium heat melting butter, Add the brown sugar and slice bananas cooking for no more then 1 -3 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat, add in the rum and toss.
*Whip Cream: in a chilled non reactive bowl add cream and beat until cream have soft peaks add 1 tablespoon rum, powder sugar and beat until cream forms high peaks.
*Savory Variation Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, spinach or sun-dried tomatoes to the egg mixture.
*Sweet Variation Add 1 -2 tablespoons powder sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of your favorite liqueur to the egg mixture.