VIRGINIA THIS MORNING: Chef Malcolm Mitchell
RICHMOND, Va (WTVR) – You’ve seen him as a Finalist on Season 8 of, ‘The Food Network Star’ with Bobby Flay and Giada Di Laurentiis. Chef Malcolm Mitchell is in town promoting his ‘Promiscuous Palate’ Dinner at Camden’s Dogtown Market taking place on Monday, April 15th at 6pm. He shared his Roasted Beet and Frisee Salad recipe with us.
Roasted Beet & Frisee Salad
Coconut Water Poached Carrots & Turnips Red Grapefruit Toasted Pine Nuts
Lemon Oil & Sweet Onion Champagne Vinaigrette
Prepared by Malcolm Mitchell
Food Network Star Season 8 Finalist
Red Beet 2
Golden Beets 2
Frisee 3 oz
Baby carrots 4 oz
Red grapefruit segments ½ cup
Coconut milk 8 oz can
Pine nuts 2 tablespoons
Extra virgin olive oil ½ cup
Sweet onion 1 large sliced
Dijon mustard 1 tablespoon
Sugar 2 tablespoons
Water ¼ cup
Champagne vinegar 1/3 cup
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Season beets with oil, salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil in roasted in a 350 degree oven about 45 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool and slice in quarters.
- Pour coconut milk in a sauce pot on medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and slice in half.
- Peel turnips and poach in same coconut milk for 20 minutes or until for tender( do not overcook)
- In a dry frying pan toast pine nuts on medium heat until slightly golden, allow to cool.
- Zest & juice lemon.
- Combine lemon juice, zest, 2 TBSP water and whisk in ¼ cup olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, set aside
- In a skillet on medium heat add 2 TBSP of olive oil and slice onions, sugar and salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown and sweet constantly stirring. Allow to cool.
- In a blender set on liquefy combine onions, Dijon mustard, vinegar and water. Slowly pour in olive oil while blender is running. Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Arrange all vegetables and frisee on plate and drizzle with sweet onion champagne vinaigrette and lemon oil. Garnish with toasted pine nuts.