Accused teen allegedly confessed to victim via Facebook messages

Posted on: 3:11 pm, March 21, 2013, by , updated on: 02:40pm, March 21, 2013

By Jessica Larche

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WTKR) — A teen accused in the murder of a 13-year-old allegedly confessed to the crime using social media.

The 15-year-old boy charged with the murder in Newport News last year confessed in a Facebook message he sent to his victim after the crime, according to affidavits for search warrants filed in Newport News circuit court this month.

Kashawn Hines is accused of shooting Lamonee Johnson-Chisholm to death last November in front of the victim’s home.

In the affidavit for the search warrant, investigators say Hines wrote in a Facebook message to Johnson-Chisholm, “He did not mean to kill him and that he only meant to scare him by shooting Lamoee. Kashawn also stated he was sorry for killing Lamonee because they used to be friends.”

“I looked at it and I just stared at it for a while,” said Quintonia Chisholm, Lamonee’s mother, who told police about the messages when she saw them the day after her son’s death. “His apologies and his I-didn’t-mean-to’s mean nothing. They don’t bring Lamonee back. It doesn’t change the fact that he changed so many lives by doing something so stupid.”

The affidavit says Kashawn thought “Lamonee would have gotten to him if Kashawn did not act first”.

“How big of a threat could he have been if you shot him in his back?” Chisholm said.

The affidavits say there were “several messages to Lamonee from various individuals who were threatening to kill him” and “there were several threatening messages from subjects posted before and after his death”.

Lamonee’s mother believes more people should be charged.

“I am waiting on the day to smile at the fact that they make more arrests in my son’s murder case,” she said.

Until then, she hopes Hines will pay for Lamonee’s death.

“Monee was 13. He’s 15. He celebrated his birthday after [the murder]. Monee didn’t,” she said. “I’m not bitter or mad because he’s living and Monee isn’t. I’m just saying hold him responsible for what he did.”

Earlier this month, a judge ruled that Hines will be tried as an adult. He’ll be back in court in April.

Click here to read more on this story from WTKR.