RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR)– The American Red Cross launched a new Tornado app Monday. The app coincides with National Severe Weather Preparedness week, which runs March 9 – 13.
The app, which is free and available in English or Spanish, gives “instant access to local and real-time information, so they know what to do before, during and after a tornado,” the Red Cross said.
The app is available for iPhone, Android and iPad users.
Other features of the app include:
- Location-based NOAA tornado, severe thunderstorm and flood watch and warning alerts;
- Enhanced weather maps;
- One-touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends that they are out of harm’s way;
- Simple steps and checklists people can use to create an emergency plan and share it with others;
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm;
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters; and
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
To find the app, search “Tornado by American Red Cross” in your phone’s app store.