Your afternoon commute could be windy and wet
RICHMOND, Va (WTVR) – A storm rolling through our area is bringing high winds that could impact your afternoon and evening commute. This afternoon expect wind gusts to get up to 20-30 mph and bring rain our way. The worse driving conditions will hit us overnight. For a complete look at the forecast and specific warnings click here.
Remember, inclement weather usually means road crews will suspend construction and lane closures.
If you are driving, remember to keep your headlights on, avoid distractions and keep both hands on the wheel. Here are some more tips for driving in high winds you may not have thought of:
- Be aware of other vehicles. Slow down or move over when approaching cars towing, RVs, campers, trucks and buses.
- Reduce your speed to lower the effect of the wind on your car. Keep both hands on the wheel. If you feel unsafe do not park on the shoulder - exit the freeway until the wind subsides.
- High profile vehicles are not recommended to travel during high wind events.
- Make sure your load is tied down securely as well as other items being hauled.
- Watch for debris blowing on the highway and be extra cautious.
- Listen to the radio or watch local news before you travel for road conditions and roads that may be closed.