Apartment fire displaces elderly man

Posted on: 3:59 pm, January 19, 2013, by , updated on: 08:24am, January 20, 2013

Photo Gallery Expand 1 of 5

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (WTVR) – Colonial Heights Fire Department responded shortly before noon Saturday to reports from neighbors of smoke coming from a garage located on Hanover Avenue.

The garage was actually converted into an apartment where an elderly man had been living. We are told it took fire crews 15-20 minutes to get the fire under control.

The elderly man was not home during the time.

The apartment was gutted by the fire and the elderly man was displaced. A chief with the fire department tells us American Red Cross was on scene to assist the resident, as well as the owner of the property.

Submit Your Photo