RICHMOND, Va (WTVR) – With slick roads and messy road conditions crews may put construction plans on hold. We have scheduled closures along the Huguenot Bridge this morning and into the afternoon. You could experience delays of up to 15 minutes in either direction. Crews will be on scene from 8am – 3pm weather permitting. If you would like to avoid the area, use the Willey Bridge as an alternate.
Here are some tips to help you deal with those rainy conditions:
- Slow down. It takes longer to stop or adjust in wet weather.
– Stay toward the middle lanes – water tends to pool in the outside lanes.
– Maintain proper following distance (3 Second Rule). This needs to be increased in wet weather.
– Drive in the tracks of a car ahead of you. If possible.
– Don’t follow large trucks or busses too closely. The spray created by their large tires reduces your vision.
– Be more alert when driving in wet or slippery conditions. Watch out for brake lights in front of you.
– Avoid using your brakes; if possible, take your foot off the accelerator to slow down.
– Turn your headlights on even in a light rain, or in gloomy, foggy or overcast conditions. Not only do they help you see the road, but they’ll help other drivers see you.
– Before it starts to rain, replace old or brittle wipers.
– Never drive through moving water if you can’t see the ground through it; your car could be swept off the road.