RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - 'Bachelor Kitchen' Chef Chris Hill cracks open sharing his signature Breakfast Souffle recipe. It’s a perfect meal to eat for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner and he paired it with a tasty Mulled Apple Bourbon-Cider.
Hearty Breakfast Souffle
Breakfast for 6
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry
- 8 Eggs
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 6 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 8 oz. Black Forest Ham, chopped
- 4 oz. Applewood Bacon, chopped
- ½ cup Onion, chopped
- ½ cup Spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In greased baking sheet, line puff pastry evenly in 2 inch deep 12 X 12 inch baking pan
- Cook for 10 minutes, and remove from oven, allowing to cool a few minutes before adding egg mixture
- While Puff Pastry is baking whisk eggs and half and half together, and set aside
- In sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat, and add remaining (except for cheese) ingredients, sautéing for 6-8 minutes or until desired crispiness (of bacon)
- Drain fat and water (from spinach) and slowly add to egg mixture, to tempure eggs, keeping them from scrambling
- Pour over top of Puff Pastry and finish with cheddar cheese
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until edges of puff pastry around lightly browned and egg mixture looks done
Mulled Apple Bourbon-Cider
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger, or a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, diced
- 1 orange (unpeeled), quartered
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or ½ vanilla bean, split
- Brandy or bourbon (optional)
- Combine cider, sugar, ginger, orange, cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla in a large pot with a lid.
- Bring everything to a boil, and then lower to a simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- When you’re ready to serve, add a shot of brandy or bourbon to each mug, then fill to the brim with the hot cider (avoiding the oranges and spices).
Stir to combine, and garnish with a cinnamon stick