Problem Solvers on Facebook
ENTER NOW: Win $600 on CBS 6 at 6:30 a.m. this week

Seniors fall ill, die after eating wild mushroom soup

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Authorities say two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility have died and four others are hospitalized after eating soup with wild mushrooms.

Placer County sheriff’s officials says that 86-year-old Barbara Lopes and 73-year-old Teresa Olesniewicz,  residents of Gold Age Villa, an elderly care home in Loomis, died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.

Sheriff’s Lieutenant Mark Reed says the caregiver who prepared the soup was among the six people sickened.

The conditions of the four people hospitalized were not immediately known, and their names have not been released.

Reed says after deputies were called to the facility Friday they determined the incident was an accident.

The incident is being investigated by the California Department of Social Services, the agency that licenses senior care facilities.