CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – The State Medical Examiners Office has ruled a Chesterfield man, found dead in his home Monday, died due to “complications of snake bite.” In an email to CBS 6, Stephen Murman, with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, indicated Jack Redmond’s death was an “accident.”
Redmond, 70, was discovered dead inside his Hinshaw Road Monday. Redmond collected snakes, including venomous ones.
Chesterfield Animal Control assistant supervisor Robert Leinberger said the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries removed 24 snakes from the house Tuesday morning.
Chesterfield Police said Redmond’s body did have a snake bite on it.
The snakes are being sent to zoos and serpentariums for care.