Student shocked at elementary school

Ward Elementary School in Henrico County (PHOTO: Chris Munnings)

Ward Elementary School in Henrico County (PHOTO: Chris Munnings)

Ward Elementary School in Henrico County (PHOTO: Chris Munnings)

Ward Elementary School in Henrico County (PHOTO: Chris Munnings)

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – Henrico fire crews were called to Ward Elementary School after a student was shocked at school.

The initial call was for a student shocked by a pencil sharpener, however it turns out that was not the case.

In an email to CBS 6, Henrico Deputy Superintendent Patrick Kinlaw said the student was shocked after a paper clip was placed in an electrical wall socket and that no pencil sharpener was involved.

The girl have may suffered minor burns, according to Henrico Fire Capt. Jim Mellon. Kinlaw said the child was taken to the hospital for treatment. Kinlaw said late Friday that the student had been treated and released from VCU Medical Center.