RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – Governor Bob McDonnell said another person has died in connection to last weekend’s powerful storms that downed trees and knocked out power to millions across the state.
McDonnell said another storm-related death happened in Fairfax County.
As of Thursday, 13 people had died in connection with the severe weather.
- Two deaths in Albemarle County
- Two deaths in Bedford County
- One death in Chesapeake
- Four deaths in Fairfax County
- One death in Loudoun County
- One death in Montgomery County
- One death in Richmond
- One death in Roanoke
There have also been six heat-related deaths in the state since June 20.
Gov. McDonnell said Thursday that there are still 95,000 customers without power in the Commonwealth. That’s down from 1.2 million during the height of the storm-related outages.
Dominion Virginia Power reports that 95 percent of its customers are back online. Around 1,000 Dominion customers are still without power in Richmond and the Tri-Cities area. [BONUS: Meet the photographer behind viral storm photo]
Power companies stressed that it may take until rest of this week and into the weekend to get everyone back online.
McDonnell said reaching the milestone of less than 100,000 customers without power speaks volumes to the dedication of power crews in Virginia and those from other states.
“Unfortunately, this progress is also tempered with sadness as an additional fatality in Fairfax County has brought the storm’s death toll to 13,” said McDonnell.
The strong winds toppled trees and downed power lines across the state, first on Friday, and then on Saturday.
In fact, the National Weather Service confirmed an EF-0 tornado touched down near Mechanicsville Saturday. [RELATED: Mechanicsville tornado with 7.4 mile path confirmed]
Extreme temperatures forced many localities across the state to open cooling shelters earlier this week.
Stay with CBS 6 News and WTVR.com for the most complete coverage, before, during and after the storms.
- POWER OUTAGE: Where is Dominion working today?
- ‘On target’ Dominion says 86% now have power
- Family mourns dog electrocuted by downed line
- Holmberg speaks with master arborist about assessing tree risk
- Meet the photographer behind viral storm photo
- Mechanicsville tornado with 7.4 mile path confirmed
- Mayor Jones commends city agencies for storm response
- City distributing free ice as heat wave continues
- Neighborhoods dark as third-largest restoration effort continues
- DOWNLOAD: Severe weather, breaking news apps
- Gov. McDonnell: State of emergency declared after storms
- Lives in danger as many seek refuge from extreme heat
- VDOT works to clear 200+ roads
- Storm damages homes across metro-Richmond
- Home’s roof dangles like laundry from power line
- PHOTOS: Your photos of Saturday’s severe weather
- Time lapse of Friday’s storm moving from Iowa
- Deadly storms knock out power to thousands across Virginia
- PHOTOS: Upload your storm photos
- WARNING: Use generators safely during power outages
- Triple-digit heat as many in U.S. grapple without power
- Friday evening storm reports
- CBS 6 keeping you ahead of the storm