Storm death toll up to 11, crews making progress with power
Hanover Farms, Mechanicsville
RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – Governor Bob McDonnell provided an update Tuesday morning on the state’s ongoing recovery efforts after powerful storms moved through Virginia last weekend.
McDonnell said another death, this one in Loudoun County, has been attributed to the storms. As of Tuesday, 11 people had died in connection with the severe weather. There have also been six heat-related deaths in the state since June 20.
Thousands across the Commonwealth are still without power, but the governor said crews are making progress and that all hospitals now have power. [BONUS: Meet the photographer behind viral storm photo]
McDonnell said as of 6 a.m. Tuesday, 286,000 customers still do not have power across the state. That’s down 123,300 since 6 p.m. Monday and down from 1.2 million during the height of the storm-related outages.
Power companies stress it may take until rest of this week and into the weekend to get everyone back online.
“We are seeing outage numbers decline, and the power companies are working around the clock with extra staffing,” said Governor McDonnell. “But the intense heat combined with lack of power continues to be a real and ongoing safety concern for us,” said McDonnell in a news release.
The governor continued to ask Virginians to check on family and friends as high temperatures continue to complicate matters after the deadly storms.
The strong winds toppled trees and downed power lines across the state, first on Friday, and then on Saturday.
In fact, the National Weather Service confirmed an EF-0 tornado touched down near Mechanicsville Saturday. [RELATED: Mechanicsville tornado with 7.4 mile path confirmed]
Extreme temperatures have also forced many localities across the state to open cooling shelters, since so many remain without power.
Stay with CBS 6 News and WTVR.com for the most complete coverage, before, during and after the storms.
- POWER OUTAGE: Where is Dominion working today?
- ‘On target’ Dominion says 86% now have power
- Family mourns dog electrocuted by downed line
- Holmberg speaks with master arborist about assessing tree risk
- Meet the photographer behind viral storm photo
- Mechanicsville tornado with 7.4 mile path confirmed
- Mayor Jones commends city agencies for storm response
- City distributing free ice as heat wave continues
- Neighborhoods dark as third-largest restoration effort continues
- DOWNLOAD: Severe weather, breaking news apps
- Gov. McDonnell: State of emergency declared after storms
- Lives in danger as many seek refuge from extreme heat
- VDOT works to clear 200+ roads
- Storm damages homes across metro-Richmond
- Home’s roof dangles like laundry from power line
- PHOTOS: Your photos of Saturday’s severe weather
- Time lapse of Friday’s storm moving from Iowa
- Deadly storms knock out power to thousands across Virginia
- PHOTOS: Upload your storm photos
- WARNING: Use generators safely during power outages
- Triple-digit heat as many in U.S. grapple without power
- Friday evening storm reports
- CBS 6 keeping you ahead of the storm
- Witness recalls ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s chilling final words
- VIDEO: Argument may have you questioning mom's parenting skills
- 911 CALL: Hissing 22-pound Himalayan cat forces family, dog into bedroom
- VIDEO: Watch what happens when President Obama pushes the red button on 'Between Two Ferns' with Zach Galifianakis