RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - We dish up a decadent dessert featuring the “Champagne of the South” -- sweet tea -- with pastry chef Aletia DuPree.
- · 1 (3-ounce) Package Cream Cheese
- · ½ Cup (1 Stick) of unsalted Butter
- · 1 ¼ Cups all-purpose flour
- · 1 Cup (2 Sticks) butter, softened
- · 2 Cups of granulated sugar
- · Zest of 1 lemon
- · 8 egg yolks
- · ¾ Cup of warm, strong, unsweetened tea
- · 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- · 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- · 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- · 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- · 2 teaspoons cornmeal
To prepare the crust: Beat the cream cheese and butter with and electric mixer, until well combined. Add flour and mix well at low speed until dough forms a ball. Pat dough evenly and thinly into a 9-inch pan, building up a thicker top edge to flute. Place pie shell in freezer while preparing filling.
To prepare filling: Preheat the oven to 350°. Beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar. Add lemon zest and egg yolks a little at a time, allowing each addition to mix well. Slowly add the tea, vanilla, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add flour and cornmeal. Mix well. Remove crust from the freezer and fill with filling. Bake for 50 minutes or until just a quarter-size area in the center jiggles slightly. Cool and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.