RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - Chef Jon P. Watts from IronFish Restaurant dishes up tasty mini crab cakes topped with even tastier shrimp. Check out the recipe and try this dish tonight!
Click here for IronFish's website.
Angry Little Guys
Three shrimp – head off, tail on, deveined
Crab cake – 3 ounces, (by volume), divided into three equal portions
Micro greens or fresh cilantro, etc., for garnish
- 2 cups Fresh basil leaves, packed
- 5 each Jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
- 3 each Garlic cloves
- 3 Tbs Honey
- ¼ cup Rice vinegar
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Canola, or other neutral salad oil
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Combine first seven ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Blend again at medium speed while slowly drizzling in the oil to emulsify.
- After all oil is incorporated, with the blender still running, add xanthan gum, continue blending for a few seconds and sauce is ready to chill and use.
1 each Whole fresh pineapple, (cleaned and core removed), diced small.
- 1 each Small red onion, diced small
- 2 each Red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 each Habanero pepper, seeds removed
- ¾ cup White wine
- 1 cup Orange juice
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Star anise, ground
- ½ tsp Clove, ground
- 3 Tbs Fresh basil, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except basil in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a medium simmer, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is reduced and the mixture has a jam-like consistency.
- Remove from saucepan and cool completely.
- Add basil and mix thoroughly.
Putting It All Together
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper, and place in a lightly oiled, hot sauté pan.
- Cook shrimp on same side for about two minutes, turn the shrimp and cut the heat to the pan. The shrimp will cook to completion with the residual heat left in the pan.
- Heat a nonstick pan with about ¼ inch oil, over medium high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer place mini crab cakes in the pan.
- Cook until deep golden brown on one side and then flip the cakes and continue cooking until same color is achieved on other side.
- Place three small circles of basil-chile emulsion on a plate.
- Place a mini crab cake on each of the basil-chile circles.
- Top each crab cake with a shrimp.
- Spoon a bit of the chutney on each shrimp.
- Garnish with micro-greens, fresh cilantro, etc.