VIRGINIA THIS MORNING: Asparagus Tarts
RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – She started getting her hands dirty in the kitchen at the age of 6–Now, Jean Marie Kennedy is being featured in the March/April issue of R Home Magazine for her “simply savory” dishes. Check out her recipe for Asparagus Tarts this morning.
This segment was sponsored by R Home Magazine.
Asparagus Cheese Tarts
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 16 thin spears of asparagus, or 8 thick ones, halved lengthwise)
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shaved
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove pastry dough from freezer and let thaw for 20 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, grated Parmesan, garlic, chives, thyme and salt; set aside.
- Wash and trim asparagus, cut in half cross-wise.
- Unfold dough onto a floured surface, roll out enough to flatten, cut into 8 rectangles.
- Transfer the rectangles to a parchment covered half sheet pan.
- Spread cream cheese mixture onto each of the pastry rectangles, leaving ½ inch border all the way around.
- Press four asparagus spears onto each rectangle, alternating direction (you will have to fiddle with the length of the asparagus a bit).
- Sprinkle with the reserved parmesan cheese – about ½ tablespoon for each tart.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until pastries are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and transfer to serving platter.
- Witness recalls ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s chilling final words
- VIDEO: Argument may have you questioning mom's parenting skills
- 911 CALL: Hissing 22-pound Himalayan cat forces family, dog into bedroom
- VIDEO: Watch what happens when President Obama pushes the red button on 'Between Two Ferns' with Zach Galifianakis