House fire near VCU

Posted on: 5:00 am, January 21, 2012, by , updated on: 08:37pm, January 24, 2012

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – The Richmond Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 1,000 block of Park Avenue on Saturday shortly after 7 p.m.

When crews arrived, they saw smoke coming from the house.

The occupants, three Virginia Commonwealth University students, told CBS 6 News they had been renting the home.

They said one of the students left the space heater on unattended in his bedroom.

One of the students said they heard the smoke detector go off.